Saturday, 8 January 2011

Dusty old book (day 8)


"Transform an old book"

I found this old fairy tale book, that's proper old, with the smell and everything. Inspired from the old trick of cutting a secret hole into the pages (I used to do this as a kid, to hide treasure in) and this tutorial of making a book into a lampshade http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycle-lamp-shade, I decided to fan open the pages then cut into it.

I soaked the pages first, then fanned them open and left them to dry (so they would warp and stay open) then I cut into them about an inch. The pages are lovely, they are edged with red and have that old rough feel. I cut right the rabbit down to the text, so the rabbit really stands out from the plain edges.

In hindsight, I should of cut the rabbit in the other direction, because the pages only open properly if the book is upright.

8 comments:

  1. Wow - how original!

    I just found you via etsy. I'm also trying to make something everyday this year.. I wonder how long I'll last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it

    I also found you on ETSY and am enjoying looking each day as to what you've created. Keep going, your doing a beautiful job. I just wish I could keep coming up with something new each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. I love the technique you used. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic... I prefer it upside-down! It's more unique that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice. i was wondering how this challenge would play out. way to do the research on a fun technique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would never have put a book that way. now one of us #365 people just needs to make that fab looking lamp...

    ReplyDelete